Thank you for your willingness to host a Presbytery meeting. Attached here is a guide for hosting a Presbytery meeting. Please direct further questions regarding the hosting of a Presbytery meeting to the Stated Clerk. The Stated Clerk usually arrives 30 minutes prior to the start of the Presbytery meeting in order to help with any last minute needs.
In 2013, the General Assembly adopted the Sample Form For Terms of Call to be added as Appendix J to the Book of Church Order. Additionally, the Southwest Florida Presbytery now requires all new pastoral calls to be submitted using this terms of call letter. As such, the Shepherding Committee here provides the Sample Form for Terms of Call as a Word document that can be easily edited.
Holy Trinity Presbyterian Church in Tampa will be hosting the first annual Tampa Bay Conference on Reformed Theology on from January 10-12. For all the details or to register, go the website for the event.
Here is the schedule:
Friday, January 10, 2014
- 6:00 PM Registration
- 7:00 PM What’s Wrong With Us? — W Robert Godfrey
- 8:15 PM Why Am I A Christian? — Sinclair Ferguson
Saturday, January 11, 2014
- 8:30 AM Late Registration
- 9:00 AM Did Jesus Win? – W Robert Godfrey
- 10:15 AM Who Can Resist Him? – Sinclair Ferguson
- 11:30 AM Question and Answer Session
Sunday, January 12, 2014
- 9:15 AM Sunday School: Will God Take Care of Me? W. Robert Godfrey
- 10:15 AM Sermon – Jesus Teaches Five Points Sinclair Ferguson
Please join us at 9:30am at the September 14th meeting of the Southwest Florida Presbytery for Ministry Area Discussion Groups. The primary goal is to gather people from our various churches who are interested and/or involved in these various ministry areas, and for them to get to know one another, learn from one another, encourage one another, share ideas, joys, struggles and to pray for one another. Our hope is that each person leaves edified, encouraged and excited for continued ministry in their local church.
Here are the Ministry Area Discussion Groups for your consideration:
- Session Clerks facilitated by TE Freddy Fritz, Pastor of Tampa Bay Presbyterian Church
- Music and Worship Teams facilitated by Adam Davidson, Director of Arts & Worship at Trinity Lakeland
- Apologetics: Evangelism and the Pastor facilitated by Dr. Scott Oliphint, Professor of Apologetics at Westminster Theological Seminary
- Men’s Ministry facilitated by Dave Enslow, Director of Next Steps for Men
- Women’s Ministry facilitated by Barbara Aills
Worship will begin at 8:30am and the Ministry Area Discussion Groups will follow. All are invited to attend.
Proposal ~ Retreat for Pastors and Wives, SWF Florida Presbytery
Presented by Eileen Fritz on May 8, 2012.
Freddy and I loved the annual 3-day winter retreat (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) sponsored by the Susquehanna Presbytery, our “home presbytery” in PA. We bonded as we laughed, played, sang, cried, prayed, teased, ate, hung out together, and encouraged each other in the Lord and His Word. I still have a retreat group photo on my fridge that evokes wonderful memories. A retreat like this is especially meaningful to pastors’ wives, and sometimes acts as a safety net for couples in ministry. Strong bonds of friendship are also an essential advantage in working through unexpected presbytery conflicts.
- Possible venue: Christian Retreat, Bradenton, FL
- Possible speaker: It’s not a good idea to have too many speaking times – two at the most, if any.
- Possible time: Winter (late Jan or Feb), announced well in advance since that is often missions conference season, and Ligonier conference time.
- Possible first date: Late January 2013. Hopefully, that will give most sessions and pastors enough time to get it in their budgets.
- Funding: I think that a letter from the Shepherding Committee ASAP and follow-ups via emails and phone calls to each Clerk of Session in the presbytery would help, as well as reminders at presbytery meetings where more REs are present.
- Convenient date
- Fairly local
- Pleasant campus and accommodations
- Comfortable beds – double, queen or king size beds (no bunks or singles),
- Some recreational options
- Appetizing food
- Pastoral topic
- Fairly local to avoid high cost of travel reimbursement
- Possible movie option
- Set up (Podium, Room set up; Sound system; Projection equipment, etc.)
- Host/MC selection
- Group activities such as ice Breakers/ Recreation
- Prayer and Share Groups
- Advance printed schedule
- Group photo (schedule time and place, identify a competent retreat participant with a good camera, and willingness to see that it is posted ASAP on our new SWF Presbytery website)
- Mostly self-explanatory money-handling responsibilities
- Contact with Sessions about budget funding in 2013
- Collect and include email addresses of all the wives
- Advance information and registration forms to pastors and wives (include address)
- Sign-in table (Name tags; Room assignments; Keys; Printed schedules; Retreat center info)
Oh, the cost? You guessed it…PRICELESS!