Proposal ~ Retreat for Pastors and Wives, SWF Florida Presbytery
Presented by Eileen Fritz on May 8, 2012.
Freddy and I loved the annual 3-day winter retreat (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) sponsored by the Susquehanna Presbytery, our “home presbytery” in PA. We bonded as we laughed, played, sang, cried, prayed, teased, ate, hung out together, and encouraged each other in the Lord and His Word. I still have a retreat group photo on my fridge that evokes wonderful memories. A retreat like this is especially meaningful to pastors’ wives, and sometimes acts as a safety net for couples in ministry. Strong bonds of friendship are also an essential advantage in working through unexpected presbytery conflicts.
- Possible venue: Christian Retreat, Bradenton, FL
- Possible speaker: It’s not a good idea to have too many speaking times – two at the most, if any.
- Possible time: Winter (late Jan or Feb), announced well in advance since that is often missions conference season, and Ligonier conference time.
- Possible first date: Late January 2013. Hopefully, that will give most sessions and pastors enough time to get it in their budgets.
- Funding: I think that a letter from the Shepherding Committee ASAP and follow-ups via emails and phone calls to each Clerk of Session in the presbytery would help, as well as reminders at presbytery meetings where more REs are present.
- Convenient date
- Fairly local
- Pleasant campus and accommodations
- Comfortable beds – double, queen or king size beds (no bunks or singles),
- Some recreational options
- Appetizing food
- Pastoral topic
- Fairly local to avoid high cost of travel reimbursement
- Possible movie option
- Set up (Podium, Room set up; Sound system; Projection equipment, etc.)
- Host/MC selection
- Group activities such as ice Breakers/ Recreation
- Prayer and Share Groups
- Advance printed schedule
- Group photo (schedule time and place, identify a competent retreat participant with a good camera, and willingness to see that it is posted ASAP on our new SWF Presbytery website)
- Mostly self-explanatory money-handling responsibilities
- Contact with Sessions about budget funding in 2013
- Collect and include email addresses of all the wives
- Advance information and registration forms to pastors and wives (include address)
- Sign-in table (Name tags; Room assignments; Keys; Printed schedules; Retreat center info)
Oh, the cost? You guessed it…PRICELESS!